Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A transition yet again...

One last update from Africa--lectures have been heard, research been carried out, papers been written, and presentations been given...and the time has finally come to update my blog one last time in Botswana.

I have spent a lot of time the past couple of days thinking about my return home to the states. As I have to constantly remind myself, life has continued back home. Friends and family members have been living their own lives as well, and I am expecting to be welcomed home by many changes. I have a new house at the lake. My best friend is in nursing school. My little brother is now able to articulate his thoughts in a quite impressive manner, and if he is anything like his father then you all understand what that means :). As my world completely changed four months ago when I left the states for African adventures unknown, life is again going to recommence in completely different manner. It has taken time for me to adjust to the African lifestyle--once when arriving in Madagascar and again throughout my transition from island to continent. Now, as I pack my bags for the final adventure, I will experience another transition of my own. No more young children yelling at me on the dirt paths along Madagascar's blue beaches. No more standing out on the mongoose chase in Botswana. I will once again blend in completely, and I am looking forward to that more than anything else. 

The past week has been devoted to my independent study project--long hours writing up reports and preparing for presentations. The process was begun two Sundays ago while I was still in Kasane. Back in January, on my final night in the States, I decided not to bring along my computer. And, of course, this week I was wishing that I had my lovely little laptop at my side. Because I did not have access to a computer (that I didn't have to pay for) I spent four straight days writing out my entire 35 page report by hand, in a little notebook that I purchased in Madagascar (little did I know at the time that the thing would one day hold an ISP report on a project performed in a whole other country). I don't think I have written out an entire paper on actual paper since middle or high school, let alone 35 pages of mongoose research; yet, oddly enough, the process was again a refreshing experience. Had I been writing a 35 page report in the states during finals at UNC, I feel as though the process would have resulted in the long and painful demise of my soul and sanity. The process was at times stressful during the analysis process and in the many hours spent typing up my report in an internet cafe, but, overall, I was quite pleased with the week.

There is so much more that I could say, but I will be home in a couple of days, and I will then be able to tell you all my stories in person (well, most of you). I have lots of loose ends to tie up in my last day--things to buy, emails to send, cheetahs to pet, and goodbyes to be said. I will return to the states on the 14th of May and be home on the 15th. And though my time in Africa is about over, my adventures have only yet begun. It has been fun telling you all my stories throughout this trip, and I hope you have found some enjoyment amongst my silly ramblings. 

cheers from Botswana (one final time),

erin elizabeth

No comments: