Tuesday, December 9, 2008

An Adventure

What scares you shitless? Death, taxes, heights, small dark spaces, slimy snakes, airplane crashes, or evangelical extremists? While I'm confident that there are indeed many things in the world which will scare me at some point in my life, my current fear is being completely alone--waking up in a foriegn land without family or friends surrounding me. And yet, I feel like at this point in my life, that is exactly what I need the most. I, Erin Elizabeth Hester, have been living a completely comfortable life for way too long. It is high time that I leave my comfort zone--my warm bed, my hot shower, my inner circle of friends, my high-tech intellectual university, my country home--and experience something new, something different, something difficult. It is through this "voyage" that I hope to have as many new and exciting experiences as humanly possible. Oscar Wilde sums it up when he stated:
"Live! Live the wonderful life that is in you! Let nothing be lost upon you! Be always searching for new sensations. Be afraid of nothing."
This is exactly what I desire to do--take chances, make mistakes, create memories, and scare myself shitless :) . And fortunately, thanks to the wonderful world wide web, you will be able to read all about it.

until then,

1 comment:

Laura said...

Yay for blogging! :) I love your idea and can't wait to hear about your adventures in Madagascar! I'm so proud of you!