Monday, December 22, 2008

I think I will miss ice. But I'm not quite sure.

Little did I know, preparing to travel abroad for an extended amount of time is quite challenging. First of all, vaccinations are crazy. Yes, I understand their importance when traveling; but quite frankly, after the seventh shot, I have started feeling like a pin cushion. Furthermore, I have to continuously maintain a regimen of antimalarial drugs throughout my stay. Oh la la. And knowing my luck, I will probably catch some type of silly condition!

But more importantly, over the weeks, I have been making a list of necessary items to take along with me to Madagascar; and, in the back of my mind, i have been making a list of items that I will unfortunately have to leave behind. I have noticed that many of these items I take for granted on a daily basis, and I have therefore decided that I am going to make a list of things that I think I will miss the most. On my return, I plan on making a whole new list of items that I actually did miss. What I value now may, upon my return, seem trivial and unnecessary. I'm not sure what I hope to determine in comparing these two lists. Maybe I will discover that I am more materialistic than I should be. Maybe I value the wrong things. Maybe my lists will be the same. Maybe they will be different. Whatever the outcome, I am interested to see what happens.

1. My bed. More specifically, my soft mattress, pillow, memory foam, and warm quilt.
2. Hot showers. And possibly even a daily shower in general.
3. Ice. I love ice. And frozen treats like popsicles.
4. The cool weather. I prefer the cool breeze of a North Carolina October day.
5. Central air.
6. Microwave. As much as I am going to love the lack of processed food, there is nothing like a bowl of hot soup in 3 quick minutes.
7. High speed internet access, anytime. I will admit that our generation is addicted to the internet. Although, it may actually be refreshing to get away from it.
8. My ipod. I love music...and I will miss it dearly.
9. High fructose corn syrup. This one holds a bit of sarcasm, I know, but I really do have a sweet tooth. I will miss my desserts.
10. Indoor plumbing. I think this one is self-explanatory.

This list could continue for days, but I think it is a good idea to keep it at my top ten. Please note, the items are in no particular order.

3 comments:

KiP said...

Well, dear, you could have done what Peggy Jane said she did, when her prep time was too short for a trip somewhere out of the country...she convinced one of her friends to take the shots for her!! Hey that is what she told me!

I am mildly jealous and oh, so very excited for you. Yes, braving the "new" can bring you many wonderful adventures. I can't wait to hear about them.
Love KiP

Anonymous said...

I feel so lucky that I'll have everything on your list (except instead of your bed, I'll have an Ikea bed, haha) and I haven't had to have any shots! What are the dates of your program? I am soooo excited for you! :)

Amber said...

I know what I will miss most when you go to Madagascar...

xoxo