Friday, March 13, 2009

life most definitely does through you curve balls

The last couple of days have had its ups and its downs. I currently have a lot on my mind, and I am in a situation that I never ever thought I would ever be in.

First of all, I have been told that I have amoebic dysentery. If you would like further details on the ins and outs of this lovely gastro-intestinal disorder, feel free to google it.

Second of all, the country has risen its security level, and the lovely University of North Carolina has decided that it is not safe for me to be in this beautiful, amazing country any longer. I have just discovered this a little over an hour ago. And I am completely and utterly upset. The rest of my lovely little group gets to stay, except for my friend Matt, who also attends a large, public university.

Plans are up in the air. I am supposed to be gone within a week. I haven't yet discussed this with the family, and I am actually about to call them. But I have been told that Matt and I can possibly continue our study abroad experience with another ecology group in another country. With a whole new group of people. In a whole new culture. This is insanity. And I am strongly considering gathering my wits and all of the courage left in my body, and voyaging off to this whole new world, hopefully with my lovely friend Matt.

And this country is Botswana.

6 comments:

Laura said...

Oh my gosh Erin! Here is the biggest hug I can muster up and send through the internet HUG!!!!!!

1) I thought I had it bad when I was at the ER in Asheville with food poisoning... but Holy Smokes! You're in a 3rd world country!

2) I can't believe they are expecting you to leave in a WEEK! Oh my gosh. Botswana? Oh Erin! HUG!

I am praying for you like crazy!!! You are a tough girl and I love you!

Amanda said...

Erin!!! Oh my goodness. I am soo sooo sorry. If you'd like, I will personally write a letter to the university explaining how much this experience means to you, and exactly how important your study of the lemurs are. I'll throw in a little information about your beastly self defense moves (which i do not mind ling about). Although, I'm sure none of this will have any effect at all.

Well, if you come up with a better idea, I'll see that it's carried out.

Amber said...

Aww babe I wish I could put my foot down and tell UNC they are wrong and that no, my willowy African queen will NOT be leaving her lovely lemurs in Madagascar! Love and hugs and kisses sent all the way across the Atlantic. I love and miss you so much!

trevadg said...

Awwwww girl im soo freakn sorry i wish i could make you all better. And fix the problem over there so you wouldnt have to leave. but you know the school is just lookn out for you not wanting you to be in any danger. We are all here for you girl. An im really sorry you have that intestine problem wish i could help you my darlin my love and prayers are out your way

Anonymous said...

1) My cousin got an amoeba while we were in Africa. BRAT= Bananas, Rice, Apples and Tea. I know you have at least two of those things aplenty.

2) And Botswana- well I don't know if they compare to lemurs, but there are antelope! And the Kalahari, that should be pretty nifty. But, if you do not agree...

3) I can handle Holden Thorp for you. Seriously. I've been saving up rage against him since the snowdays during which we still had class. Really though.

Just let me know if I need to get my knife!

Love (bordering on unquestioning devotion)- Roman

Rachel said...

Erin-
First of all: I love you. Second, I know you have more strength in you than anyone I know and I think you will handle this change of situation with grace and amazingness. Dont forget to breath and remember that everything will be OK. And I will also participate in the angry letters/hate mail/chancellor abuse!
Stay strong! love you! Rach