Wednesday, March 18, 2009

when life hands you Botswana...

So many things have happened over the past week, and there is no possible way that I can condense every thing into one little blog post. I last left you the day that I discovered that I was being forced to leave the country--a sad day indeed. It was then that I realized that I wouldn't be able to study the ringtails and sifakas, that I would have to leave all of my new friends, and that I would have to basically start all over again in a new country with a new language and a new culture. And here I am today, sitting for the last time at the internet cafe beside my house, waiting for Matt to pick me up in a taxi so that the two of us can begin our new adventure in Botswana! And again, I am scared, nervous, a little overwhelmed, and completely and utterly excited!

**Note: Be cautious about what you read in the news. I am not saying that what you read about Madagascar is not true, but I truly feel that it is being hyped-up. Yes, there are problems in the capital, but the United States likes to enhance the articles that they publish.

My last week here in Madagascar has been pretty much amazing. The day (actually at the exact moment) that I discovered I have to leave, our group enjoyed an extremely amazing lunch free from rice of any kind--pizza with tomatoes, lobster, and swordfish, couscous with some delicious octopus, vegetable lasagna, ravioli, and desert (apple pie, pineapple cobbler, sorbet, shortbread cookies with fresh coconut, yogurt and chocolate sauce). It was unreal...I actually think my academic advisor planned it so that I could gorge myself with delicous food after hearing the sad news! I actually surprised myself with how well I coped with the news. While I was completely heartbroken, I soon realized what a great experience it would be to study the mega-fauna of Botswana. And by soon, I mean that I had decided to continue my studies in Botswana within the hour. I will be studying in Maun, which is located in one of the most beautiful deltas in the world. Once Matt and I arrive in the country, we will be living in another village stay, with people who do not speak french or malagasy.

**Side note #2: I am leaving the rice diet. I am told in Botswana, their staple food is some sort of cornmeal something-or-other. It will be interesting to compare the two.

We spent most of the week in Tulear hanging out in the country beside the Mozambique Channel near a house that my academic director had built. The mangroves were absolutely gorgeous! We camped in our tents under the starry night sky. During our stay, we visited a sea cucumber farm, hiked a mountain, swam in a BEAUTIFUL cave, and went snorkling among the coral reefs of the Mozambique! I truly felt like I was the one on spring break! One night, we roasted two sheep over a fire and had a lovely party with the local villagers (of course with a lot of music, dancing, and Three Horses Beer).

Two days ago, Matt, Jenny (another student who decided to go back to the states), and I began our voyage back to Fort Dauphin. We were not able to catch a flight in time, so we traveled for two long days by truck across southern Madagascar. It was really great to see the countryside, but the ride was extremely long and bumpy! It was absolutely impossible to even nap on the road. On our second day of travel, around 06h30, we got the truck stuck in a huge puddle of mud. The muddy, murky, parasite ridden water was up to our thighs as we all pushed the truck out of the mud hole! Oh what an evacuation experience. Otherwise, the trip was relatively painless. We arrived in Fort Dauphin last night, where I spent my last evening with my homestay family. My father was still gone, but I was able to talk with him on the phone and say my goodbyes.

Sorry this post is relatively short, but I will soon be boarding a plane for Jo-burg, South Africa. Matt and I will then fly into Gabrione (sp?), the capitol of Botswana, where we will be spending the night. Thursday we will finally be flying into Maun, our destination. It is there that we will meet our new academic director, there that we will meet our new group of friends, and there where we will commence our new adventure in Sub-saharan Africa. I have no idea what is in store for me there, but I know that I will, indeed, have another great adventure. And what is even more exciting is that I now have a friend with whom I can share my journey.

I know you will all be excited to hear about Botswana, but I am not sure what type of communication I will have, if any, with the outside world once I am there. I will be sure to update you all as soon as possible.

**Side note #3: Just a little reminder, my address will be different. I will post my new one ASAP for those interested.

So here I am, half-way through my program, beginning a new journey (I really just wanted to make my blog interesting for all of you lovely individuals :). When life hands you Botswana, one must seize the giraffe!

until then,

erin elizabeth

ps: thanks to all of my friends and family who have been sending me messages and letters of encouragement! i will need every bit of it!

4 comments:

Blythe said...

We are certainly thinking about you and praying for you. Good luck on your new adventure.

Laura said...

Here's to Botswana & new life adventures! You are so awesome & tough Erin! As much as I miss you & wish I could see you, I think you made the right decision! As always... praying for you!

trevadg said...

GO erin Im excited cant wait to here about Botswana sounds even more exciting maybe you will see Giraffes and other sorts of animals there oh cant wait!! LOVE YOU and Miss you Goood luck with the new adventure!

Anonymous said...

Seize the giraffe! I think that's my new favorite phrase. I'm so glad you're having such a crazy, spontaneous, amazing experience in not just Madagascar, but all over Africa. Mom, Dad, Meredith and I are all praying for you. We love you like crazy, and we can't wait to see you and hear all about your trip when you get back!

P.S. Your cute family was on the news last night, talking about your trip. They opened their section with Ryan James pointing at a globe, saying "It's right there." The news lady said, "What's right there?" and Ryan James said "Madagascar." He backed up from the camera and put his thinking face on, and it melted my heart. I hope you get to see that segment at some point.