Wednesday, April 29, 2009

eyes open, arms out, mind at ease

I look down. Two large, navy blue towels are tightly wrapped around my ankles. My breathing is remarkably calm and relaxed. Just another day in Africa...

I stand up and try to walk, but end up waddling across the cold metal surface under my feet. In a matter of seconds, I have stopped walking. I can see for what seems like miles, and I can hear the constant snapping of metal. A cool breeze rushes by beneath my bare toes. Everything and nothing is on my mind. And above the deafening roar of the water below me, I hear a muffled voice...

"I count from five, and you just push out as far as possible...much more fun that way."

"Ok, so do I...?"

"Five, four, three, two..."

A nudge. An extremely soft push from behind, but with enough force to send me off of the bridge and out into a great nothingness. Wind rushes past my face. My arms are stretched out. I am falling quickly, yet time seems to be stopped, completely. For the first couple of seconds I am excited; the next few extremely freaked out (the whole time screaming :). Finally, I reach a state of awe, entranced by the exasperating beauty that surrounds me; yet, I am again shaken when the cord above me jerks and I am pulled up in a completely opposite direction. The beautiful blue African sky, dotted with small cumulus clouds, is at my feet, while the cold gray waters from the majestic falls rush above my head. I am surrounded by huge rock walls on either side. The pressure in my head builds with every ebb and flow of the bungee cord. I have just willingly jumped off of a bridge on the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe. I have just successfully completed my first bungee jump!

About an hour before, I jumped off of the bridge for the first time...but the jump was not face first towards the water. My first jump was called the "bridge swing" and was a much different sensation than the invigorating, exhilarating dive of the bungee jump. Now, don't get me wrong, any jump from a bridge that high towards a raging river is always going to be exhilarating, but it was a different feeling. For some odd reason, I felt much more in control when jumping face first. I'm not really sure why.

The past couple of days have been quite lovely. Although I started going a little crazy after a week alone in Kasane, my lovely Matt and Laura came to visit!! I was so happy to finally indulge in conversation with someone when I didn't have to ask their name, nationality, travel plans, etc. Their visit was like a breath of fresh air. After chasing mongooses for the day, I met the two at the lodge, where we shared a couple of hard ciders (quite delicious after a long day on my feet) and some much needed conversation

A couple of days ago I took the afternoon to go on a "boat cruise," or rather, a safari by boat, on the Chobe River. I got to see many hippos and crocodiles (and of course the normal elephants, impala, baboons, kudu, etc) and the beautiful sun set on the horizon of the Chobe River... a truly breathtaking, beautiful view.

Otherwise, my days mainly consist of mongoose chasing (6:30am-5:30pm every day). Friday will be my last day of field work, leaving Saturday and Sunday for data entry and analysis. On Monday I will travel back to Gaborone where I will begin to write my 20-40 page report on my mongoose research. It will be may last time travelling in the country before I go home.

I cannot believe that in a couple of weeks I will no longer be in Africa. Though it will be exciting to return home to see family and friends, it will indeed be a difficult process. I have been told numerous times that the transition back home is, actually, the hardest part of the trip. And I do not doubt it one bit...it may be scary, but I'm sure I will pursue it the same way as the lovely bridge at Victoria Falls--calm, cool, relaxed, and most of all, extremely excited to feel, again, a completely new sensation.

erin elizabeth

No comments: