Wednesday, April 22, 2009

a little bit of kindness

Just a short blog post today, but one that I think is important.

Over the past two days, I have been overwhelmed with acts of kindness from virtual strangers. I was a little apprehensive of being here in Kasane alone for the week, but just over the past 48 hours, I have been shown otherwise. I am not alone here in Kasane. I may not know anyone very well, but this small town is filled with many incredibly kind individuals...just hidden among all of the crazy ones :). These few people have done nothing incredibly outrageous for me, but their actions were greatly appreciated.

The first act of kindness involved a manager at the lodge just doing her job. She quickly helped me find the cheapest alternate lodging situation (whether is was at her lodge, or another). The smile on her face lowered my stress level significantly.

Second act of kindness: My troop has recently been frequenting a lodge on the north end of town, far from Safari Lodge where I am currently residing. The "Garden Lodge" is a quaint little bed and breakfast type of place, with a couple of dogs lounging around the terrace that overlooks the Chobe river. A middle-aged German woman, Gaby, runs the place with her husband. This morning, she saw me walking down the road and offered me a ride to the mongooses (who all happened to be denning at a house just next to her lodge). Directly following my observations, she insisted that I come in and have a cup of tea (free of charge) while I waited for my next scheduled observation time. We sat and chatted for a while, and I learned that she is from a town about 80km from my own family in Germany. She had only met me a little over a day before, and she was so kind, so hospitable, so welcoming.

Third act of kindness: After sitting for a while in the dirt near the river, a man walked up to me, introduced himself, and offered me a bottle of cold water. He noticed that I was looking for the mongooses, and he thought I might be a bit thirsty.

All of the people mentioned above knew nothing of me, or had just met me the day before. These experiences seems small and insignificant, I know, but I can't explain the impact they have had on me. Therefore, I challenge you all to think about the little things that you do throughout the day, whether they involve close friends or mere strangers. Because, little do you know, a small act of kindness can make the day of another person.

erin elizabeth

1 comment:

KiP said...

What a beautiful world connection you are making. I am repeatedly awed by the kindness of strangers in my life as well.

Thanks you for spreading the word at a time when we tend to get lost in our own challenges.

I love you
KiP